What is the best way to better the world?
In the last few years I’ve been thinking about the best thing I can do to better the world.
Ultimately, I decided the best thing I can do is raise kids to do better than myself.
With that being the goal, the more I achieve in this world, the higher bar I set for them.
Although I did start a video Blog for my kids to help them relate to my experiences, there is only limited things I can do right now to raise my future kids, as I don’t yet have any. Which makes this the perfect time to focus on the doing the best I can, to inspire and be an example of how to live life for them.
So that is long term. How about a more short term?
What do I want in the next 1 – 5 years?
Yosemite is a great place to ponder life. Photo credit Geordie McAleer
To have a better understanding the best way I can better the world
How? Understand the world. Understand myself.
Travel the world, exploring how it works and where I want to fit in.
First give myself the freedom and happiness I want to learn how to give the world.
How will I travel the world?
Well I am currently looking into 2 options.
Living in a Van – Safest
- Travel a continent, sell it, do it again..
Backpacking the world indefinitely – Most likely.
- South America
I am also exploring the idea of travel via sailing. But not likely an option for next year.
Means of living this life
Backpacking in Joshua Tree after forgetting wind protection
Before going into detail about how I plan to pull each of these off, lets look at what I will need to even make a decision.
- The skills and ability to live cheap. Unleash the Hippie/Entrepreneur within.
- Sustainable lifestyle. Income. Some ideas include:
Do what we love, love what we do.
- Happiness is my motive for life. If I am not enjoying the lifestyle, it is not going to work.
- Keep the vision in mind, without over thinking everything. I shouldn’t plan out every step of the way, but I should make sure I put my head up once in a while. Especially when big opportunities present themselves.
Be good and known.
- Inspire others to better the world the best they can.
- Create resources for others to benefit from.
- Be a cause worth joining. A movement worth moving.
Next I need to work out parallel targets backpacking and van life possible. Aim for one, but have the other as fallbacks.
If you are finding yourself in a similar position, want to travel the world with me, or just travel for part with me, comment below.
Feature photo credit: Geordie McAleer